ajax indicator ajax indicator

Advanced search

Basildon business - overview


Grants available for budding entrepreneurs >>

Want advice on low carbon and grants for your business? >>

Business continuity advice from Basildon District Council >>

More information on the Bank of Essex and support for business >>

Looking for an overview of business support in the East? - click here >>

New hotline launched for recession hit businesses >>

Local business? Click here for information on the Basildon Business Group

Click here to search for Basildon businesses >>

Need support with redundancies?>>

Basildon has a strong economy and is ranked as the 31st most competitive business destination in the UK. It is the business hub of Thames Gateway South Essex, is the second largest economy and has the biggest workforce in the Thames Gateway outside of Canary Wharf. Basildon is alive with business opportunity.

Presently Basildon District employs 75,000 people,(43,000 of these are local residents) and is home to 5,000 businesses. There is a noticeable concentration of employment along the A127/Cranes Farm Corridor and Nethermayne corridors with around half of the District's employment being found in these areas. Over ?1billion is invested in R and D each year.

Basildon District has very strong links to manufacturing and is home to major employers such as Ford Motor Company, Visteon, Case New Holland, Selex, and Konica Minolta. New jobs are being created at a rate considerably faster than any of its neighbours in the TGSE area and the District is well on track for the RSS target of 11,000 new jobs by 2021.

Of the Districts' residents 72% (119,516 people) are of working age (16 to 64yrs old) and 75% of the working age group are classified as economically active, which is on a par with National and Regional statistics. Unemployment in the District is, comparatively low compared Nationally / Regionally and year on year it continues to fall. It currently stands at 3%. The District retains 55% of its economically active residents locally, with the remaining 45% commuting outside of the District.